As your parents and loved ones age, it’s difficult to imagine a day when they’ll need extra help at home. After all, your dad fixed every household issue without even a YouTube tutorial to help him! Your mom was also a wizard at making an entire week’s worth of nutritious meals with her encyclopedic knowledge of cooking and baking. Watching the pillars of knowledge and strength in your family need additional support may seem overwhelming, but there are steps that you can take to ensure quality home care for your loved ones. At Nye Health Services, we’re here to walk families through the process of senior home care.
Home Care For Seniors
Home care for seniors means offering additional support for your parents or loved ones. Think of it as allowing “aging in place” among the comforts of their own home. Depending on the level of senior home care needed, home care can be utilized on an “as needed” basis. Following a surgery, short-term assistance can be offered through home care, or can be regularly scheduled to offer help with daily tasks.
At Nye Health Services, we offer 3 categories of senior home care: personal care services, homemaker services, or companion services. Personal care services provide assistance with bathing, toileting, dressing, walking, and self-care so that your loved one can remain in their home or assisted living facility comfortably and safely. Homemaker services help loved ones with light housekeeping, meal prep, shopping, and family communication to maintain autonomy and independence. Companion services are requested for those seeking face-to-face contact with loved ones to ensure mental and physical wellness. The team at Nye Health Services is happy to sit down with both seniors and their families to discuss the appropriate level of home care.
The 5 Essential Elements of Exceptional Home Care Services
The goal of home care is to help seniors live a better life in the home they’ve already created. When looking for exceptional home care services, look for a team that displays the following characteristics:
- Person-Centered Care: Your loved one is your entire world, not just another patient in someone’s busy day. Look for home care services that treat them with dignity as a respected elder.
- Professionalism: Working within the intimate setting of someone’s home requires a deep level of trust. Arriving late, unkempt, constantly checking their phone, and using inappropriate language should be a telltale sign that this is not the person you want caring for your loved one.
- Empathy and Emotional Support: As we age, it can be difficult to no longer sustain tasks that once were easy. A quality home care service trains employees to offer emotional support to clients who may feel depressed or helpless about having to request help. A well-trained staff empowers clients to live their best life within their home.
- Experience: Working with senior clients is a specialized skill set, and home care workers with experience in this field demonstrate their expertise through professional and compassionate behavior.
- Specialized Services: If your loved one requires specialized services, ask the home care provider which employees are best suited for these tasks.
If you or a loved one is ready to regain independence within their home, it’s time to discuss how home care services can provide additional support. At Nye Health Services, our team of exceptional senior home health providers will answer all of your questions with ease and empathy. Contact us today to see how senior home care works for your family.